Stay at Orchard House Bed and Breakfast, and enjoy a country getaway with easy access to outdoor activities as well as wineries, breweries, historic sites, shopping, dining, farmers’ markets, and more.
Attractions & Things to Do in the Charlottesville Area
Area Wineries, Breweries and Orchards
Read more for information about vineyards, breweries, distilleries, and cider.Read More...
- Afton Mountain Vineyards – Amazing views, beautiful tasting area, specializing in
- Cardinal Point Winery
- DelFosse Vineyard &Winery – Award-winning reds, mountain views, special events like Crepe Sundays
- Brent Manor Vineyards – Voted our guests’ best experience, offering a full tasting with both locally produced and Portuguese wines
- Hill Top Berry Farm &Winery – Wines made with fruits, very sweet
- Flying Fox Vineyard – New location, specializing in reds, owned by adult children of Veritas Winery
- Lazy Days Winery – South on 29, full tasting plus sangria options
- Lovingston Winery – Local family-owned, specializing in reds
- Mountain Cove Winery – Virginia’s oldest winery, complimentary tasting, practically in our backyard!
- Veritas Vineyard and Winery – Award-winning wines, beautiful views, offers cheese plates and picnic lunches
- Rebec Vineyards – Small tasting room south on 29, Garlic Festival every fall, unique wines
- Pollak Vineyards – Gorgeous views, beautiful tasting room, Sunday brunch and food options
- Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyard – Spectacular tasting room, beautiful views, full tasting, and extensive food menu
- Loving Cup Vineyard – Only organic vineyard in area, small/family-run tasting room, educational experience
- Blue Mountain Brewery – On 151, several brew options, full bar, extensive menu including pizza, burgers, chili.
- Barrel House Brewery – On 29 South, location where Blue Mountain actually makes their beer. Food truck seasonally, live music Friday evenings.
- Devils Backbone Brewery – On 151, most extensive brewery menu, full bar, everything from fried pickles to filet dinner. GF and vegan options, outdoor fire pit and music area.
- Wild Wolf Brewery – On 151, several brew options, full bar, menu includes jambalaya, fish tacos, burgers, pasta dishes, daily specials.
- Wood Ridge Farm Brewery – On 29 North, truly unique experience. Brewery on 300-acre family farm, built from farm cedar trees. Approximately a dozen unique beer choices, food truck serving chicken wings, salads, burgers, cheese steak sandwiches, chicken sandwiches.
- Brewing Tree Brewery – On 151, newest of the breweries, nice outdoor area, several brew options, kitchen with daily specials.
- Virginia Distillery Co. – Award-winning single malt whiskey; a museum quality experience only one mile from the Orchard House.
- Silverback Distillery Co. – A mix of various whiskies, gins and vodkas. There’s an excellent vibe.
- Albemarle CiderWorks – On 29 North, area’s oldest cidery. Outdoor patio area, seasonal Farmers’ Market, a large variety of ciders.
- Bold Rock Hard Cider – On 151, multiple venues on the property, large variety of ciders, retail shop, tours, lunch menu, dog-friendly.
- Blue Toad Cider – Off of 151, near Devils Backbone, small/local cidery.
- Bryants Cider – Newest cidery and small/locally owned.
- Dickie Brothers Orchards
- Seamans Orchards
- Saunders Brothers Orchards
Dining in Nelson County
Read more for dining recommendations in Nelson County.Read More...
- Lovingston Cafe – 165 Front Street, (434) 263-8000 (full bar, comfort food, daily specials)
- Vito’s Italian Restaurant – Route 29, (434)263-8688 (pizza, pasta, homemade sauces and dressings, local beer, generous wine pours)
- Mountain Mamas Kebab Shop – 632 Front Street, Lovingston 434-906-8256 (kebabs, salads, daily specials, steak dinners with sides, beer and wine)
- El Mariachi Mexican – 37 Tanbark Plaza, Lovingston 434-263-5999 (generous menu, daily specials, great margaritas)
- WoodRidge Farm Brewery – 165 Old Ridge Road, Lovingston 434-422-6225 (brewery featuring a food truck: fried pickles to burgers, chicken, salads)
- Blue Mountain Barrel House – 495 Cooperative Way, Arrington (brewery featuring a food truck weekends April-November)
- Chicken Coop – 40 Front Street, Lovingston 434-263-7818 (famous local fried chicken meals, burgers, Philly Cheese Steaks, small eating area or take-out)
- Chen’s – 73 Callohill Drive (in Food Lion complex) 434-263-8865 (local Chinese menu, small eating area or take-out)
- Shoemakers Grille – 1312 Commerce Street, 434-455-1510
- Stoney Creek Bar and Grill – 1354 Stoney Creek W, Nellysford 434-325-8110 (burgers, sandwiches, salads, full bar, steak dinners, seafood)
- Devils Backbone Brewery – 200 Mosby’s Run, Roseland , 434-361-1001 (vast menu including everything from nachos to salmon dinner. GF, vegan options, full bar)
- Blue Mountain Brewery – 9519 Critzers Shop Road, Afton 540-426-8020 (specializing in pizzas, sandwiches, chili, salads, full bar)
- Wild Wolf Brewery – Route 151, 434-361-0088 (burgers, fish tacos, jambalaya, full bar)
- Basic Necessities – 2226 Rockfish Valley Hwy, 434-361-1766 – Open for lunch and dinners on Fri/Sat, with reservations highly recommended. Daily specials, specializing in wine pairings, unique menu, often with a French flare. Considered high-end in this area!
Read more for information about hiking, biking, scenic drives, fishing, canoeing, horseback riding, skiing, golfing, and tennis.Read More...
Hiking, Biking, Scenic Drives:
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Hiking in Nelson County (pdf)
- Biking in Nelson County (pdf)
- Motorcycling in Nelson County (pdf)
- Shenandoah National Park
- George Washington National Forest
Fishing, Canoeing, Horseback Riding:
- Horseback Riding
- Sherando Lake
- Fly Fishing in Virginia
- James River Runners, Inc
- James River Float Company
Skiing, Golfing, Tennis:
Culture, History, Entertainment
Read more for information about historic homes, museums, concerts, festivals, and theaters.Read More...
Historic Homes & Museums:
- Monticello – Home of Thomas Jefferson
- Montpelier – Home of James Madison
- Ash Lawn Highland – Home of James Monroe
- The Walton’s Museum
- Appomattox Court House
- Poplar Forest
Concerts, Festivals, Theater:
Read more for information on local groups that provide information about the area.Read More...