Stay at Orchard House Bed and Breakfast, and enjoy a country getaway with easy access to outdoor activities as well as wineries, breweries, historic sites, shopping, dining, farmers’ markets, and more.
Area Wineries, Breweries and Orchards
Read more for information about vineyards, breweries, distilleries, and cider.Read More...
- Afton Mountain Vineyards – Amazing views, beautiful tasting area, specializing in
- Cardinal Point Winery
- DelFosse Vineyard &Winery – Award-winning reds, mountain views, special events like Crepe Sundays
- Brent Manor Vineyards – Voted our guests’ best experience, offering a full tasting with both locally produced and Portuguese wines
- Hill Top Berry Farm &Winery – Wines made with fruits, very sweet
- Flying Fox Vineyard – New location, specializing in reds, owned by adult children of Veritas Winery
- Lazy Days Winery – South on 29, full tasting plus sangria options
- Lovingston Winery – Local family-owned, specializing in reds
- Mountain Cove Winery – Virginia’s oldest winery, complimentary tasting, practically in our backyard!
- Veritas Vineyard and Winery – Award-winning wines, beautiful views, offers cheese plates and picnic lunches
- Rebec Vineyards – Small tasting room south on 29, Garlic Festival every fall, unique wines
- Pollak Vineyards – Gorgeous views, beautiful tasting room, Sunday brunch and food options
- Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyard – Spectacular tasting room, beautiful views, full tasting, and extensive food menu
- Loving Cup Vineyard – Only organic vineyard in area, small/family-run tasting room, educational experience
- Blue Mountain Brewery – On 151, several brew options, full bar, extensive menu including pizza, burgers, chili.
- Barrel House Brewery – On 29 South, location where Blue Mountain actually makes their beer. Food truck seasonally, live music Friday evenings.
- Devils Backbone Brewery – On 151, most extensive brewery menu, full bar, everything from fried pickles to filet dinner. GF and vegan options, outdoor fire pit and music area.
- Wild Wolf Brewery – On 151, several brew options, full bar, menu includes jambalaya, fish tacos, burgers, pasta dishes, daily specials.
- Wood Ridge Farm Brewery – On 29 North, truly unique experience. Brewery on 300-acre family farm, built from farm cedar trees. Approximately a dozen unique beer choices, food truck serving chicken wings, salads, burgers, cheese steak sandwiches, chicken sandwiches.
- Brewing Tree Brewery – On 151, newest of the breweries, nice outdoor area, several brew options, kitchen with daily specials.
- Virginia Distillery Co. – Award-winning single malt whiskey; a museum quality experience only one mile from the Orchard House.
- Silverback Distillery Co. – A mix of various whiskies, gins and vodkas. There’s an excellent vibe.
- Albemarle CiderWorks – On 29 North, area’s oldest cidery. Outdoor patio area, seasonal Farmers’ Market, a large variety of ciders.
- Bold Rock Hard Cider – On 151, multiple venues on the property, large variety of ciders, retail shop, tours, lunch menu, dog-friendly.
- Blue Toad Cider – Off of 151, near Devils Backbone, small/local cidery.
- Bryants Cider – Newest cidery and small/locally owned.
- Dickie Brothers Orchards
- Seamans Orchards
- Saunders Brothers Orchards
Dining in Nelson County
Read more for dining recommendations in Nelson County.Read More...
- Lovingston Cafe – 165 Front Street, (434) 263-8000 (full bar, comfort food, daily specials)
- Vito’s Italian Restaurant – Route 29, (434)263-8688 (pizza, pasta, homemade sauces and dressings, local beer, generous wine pours)
- Mountain Mamas Kebab Shop – 632 Front Street, Lovingston 434-906-8256 (kebabs, salads, daily specials, steak dinners with sides, beer and wine)
- El Mariachi Mexican – 37 Tanbark Plaza, Lovingston 434-263-5999 (generous menu, daily specials, great margaritas)
- WoodRidge Farm Brewery – 165 Old Ridge Road, Lovingston 434-422-6225 (brewery featuring a food truck: fried pickles to burgers, chicken, salads)
- Blue Mountain Barrel House – 495 Cooperative Way, Arrington (brewery featuring a food truck weekends April-November)
- Chicken Coop – 40 Front Street, Lovingston 434-263-7818 (famous local fried chicken meals, burgers, Philly Cheese Steaks, small eating area or take-out)
- Chen’s – 73 Callohill Drive (in Food Lion complex) 434-263-8865 (local Chinese menu, small eating area or take-out)
- Shoemakers Grille – 1312 Commerce Street, 434-455-1510
- Stoney Creek Bar and Grill – 1354 Stoney Creek W, Nellysford 434-325-8110 (burgers, sandwiches, salads, full bar, steak dinners, seafood)
- Devils Backbone Brewery – 200 Mosby’s Run, Roseland , 434-361-1001 (vast menu including everything from nachos to salmon dinner. GF, vegan options, full bar)
- Blue Mountain Brewery – 9519 Critzers Shop Road, Afton 540-426-8020 (specializing in pizzas, sandwiches, chili, salads, full bar)
- Wild Wolf Brewery – Route 151, 434-361-0088 (burgers, fish tacos, jambalaya, full bar)
- Basic Necessities – 2226 Rockfish Valley Hwy, 434-361-1766 – Open for lunch and dinners on Fri/Sat, with reservations highly recommended. Daily specials, specializing in wine pairings, unique menu, often with a French flare. Considered high-end in this area!
Read more for information about hiking, biking, scenic drives, fishing, canoeing, horseback riding, skiing, golfing, and tennis.Read More...
Hiking, Biking, Scenic Drives:
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Hiking in Nelson County (pdf)
- Biking in Nelson County (pdf)
- Motorcycling in Nelson County (pdf)
- Shenandoah National Park
- George Washington National Forest
Fishing, Canoeing, Horseback Riding:
- Horseback Riding
- Sherando Lake
- Fly Fishing in Virginia
- James River Runners, Inc
- James River Float Company
Skiing, Golfing, Tennis:
Culture, History, Entertainment
Read more for information about historic homes, museums, concerts, festivals, and theaters.Read More...
Historic Homes & Museums:
- Monticello – Home of Thomas Jefferson
- Montpelier – Home of James Madison
- Ash Lawn Highland – Home of James Monroe
- The Walton’s Museum
- Appomattox Court House
- Poplar Forest
Concerts, Festivals, Theater:
Read more for information on local groups that provide information about the area.Read More...